Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Back From Play!

Actually we got back Sunday afternoon but I'm a slack blogger.

Play! was amazing. The renditions of the Halo score and Akira Yamaoka's "Theme of Laura" from Silent Hill 2 were both a little disappointing, but on the other hand the full choir performance of Nobuo Uematsu's "One-Winged Angel" from Final Fantasy VII and (surprisingly) the Castlevania suite were both outstanding. More impressive yet, the "Metal Gear Solid Main Theme" received a standing ovation.

Other notable moments included Jeremy Soule's fantastic score to Oblivion, and a suite of music from World of Warcraft. I've actually thought the WoW score was competent but totally derivative of Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings themes, but the audience seemed to love it, so what do I know?

I understand that the tour isn't surfacing again until a January performance in Fort Worth, but if you do hear of it coming near you it's well worth the time and money to see.

1 comment:

Grant said...

The Metal Gear Solid theme is one of my all-time favourite pieces of game-related music. I never tire of it.