Friday, July 21, 2006

Assorted Film News

[News] [Film]

The lack of quality film makes me want to fill the void in my soul by writing about upcoming movies. Here's some bits and pieces.

* Heath Ledger is tapped to play the Joker in the next Batman film. Why? For the love of Bob Kane, why? (link)

* The TMNT trailer is out. No one particularly seems to care - especially IMDB, who as far as I can tell don't even have a listing for this movie. (link)

* Pretty much against all expectations, Clerks II: Passion of the Clerks is getting mostly good reviews. Huh. I guess it's true what they say about stopped clocks. On the other hand, I also heard that Kevin Smith had his most vocal critics banned from preview screenings, so maybe this really isn't all that representative. On a side note, never have I seen so many reviews spontaneously choose to use the word "scabrous" at once. (link)

* Lady In The Water (latest film from M Knight Shyamalan) looks to be a lot more in the line of the hideous Signs than the excellent The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and The Village. Really bad reviews ahoy. (link)

* We will be treated to the wonder and glory of Aliens v Predator 2, which has begun shooting. This time the aliens had better win, dagnabbit. Now, if this can get a sequel, where's my Freddy v Jason rematch? (link)

* Among the many things we'll see in the Halo movie when it finally breaks the surface will NOT be Master Chief's face. The green-suited hero will remain helmeted for precisely 100% of the movie. There's a lot of cries that the movie will therefore be inherently crap. I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt up until I actually see the movie, and then talk about why it was a stupid move. (link)

* And Richard Linklater's rotoscoped adaptation of A Scanner Darkly looks to be doing a festival tour down here in Australia, so things don't look good for an official Australian cinema release in the near future. Which is a shame, because most of the bad reviews seem to be picking on the Phillip Dick novel which forms the source for the movie, rather than having anything bad to say about the adaptation. I love the novel to bits, so I remain hyped for the screen version. (link to reviews - my source for the release news is AJ, and I have no idea where he got it from)

That's all. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I have quite a bit to say about this.

1) You do Heath Ledger a disservice, sir. Sure, all he has done so far has been light stuff, but I can see him being dark. Wait until he furrows his brow.

2)What is TMNT??

3)'scabrous' was Word of the Day back in August 1996... perhaps that was it?

4) If Kevin Smith can ban critics who don't like him from his film screenings, can I ban anyone who pays me out from our roleplaying games? Of course, then it would just be me :-(

5) What do they say about stopped clocks?? And does it have anything to do with hand size? Because you know what they say about the size of a guys hands...

6)AvP2? Bollocks. The first one was bad, the second one will be worse. Why, why must they toy with our emotions? It should have been the greatest action film of all time.

7) I second that. Bring on Freddy v Jason 2.

Ok, I'm done :-)

Phrancq said...

Connor Linklater? I thought his name was Richard.

Jules, you savage. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. How can you betray your cartoon heritage like that?

Greg Tannahill said...

TMNT? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the new movie).

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Yes. His name is Richard Linklater. Where did I get Connor from? I'll change the post.