Sunday, November 05, 2006

More Of The Same

How is it that I can be thoroughly enjoying Samurai Warriors 2, the seventh functionally identical installment in that franchise that I've played, and yet the release of Vice City Stories for the PSP just has me sighing and saying, "I guess I'll play it, some day"?

I just feel tired of the Grand Theft Auto formula. The often tortured plotlines, the implausible characters, the occasional frustratingly difficult missions that just make me want to throw my PS2 or PSP out a window. It's not doing it for me any more. Vice City Stories will probably end up being the fifth time I've completed an ambulance R3 mission, and I can sense already that it'll have some idiotic and nigh-on impossible motorcycle checkpoint stunt challenge.

There's only so many times I can build a bloated criminal empire, Rockstar. Can't you give me something new?

I have Bully aka Canis Canem Edit aka Grand Theft Schoolyard sitting by my TV waiting for me to play it, and it's good and all, I suppose. The main character looks and acts like an asshat, which is a turn off. I'm fundamentally left feeling that I've already done four years in a private school, and I'm not really sure I want to go back under the guise of gaming. Plus, that whole "jocks vs nerds vs greasers vs rich kids" thing has been done to death. Watching The Breakfast Club only takes a couple of hours, and it has Molly Ringwald and Judd Nelson in it.

Lego Star Wars II is next on my gaming list after Samurai Warriors. Maybe it'll set me straight.

No comments: