Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Straight Outta Compton

"Straight Outta Compton" by N.W.A, rendered as an introspective acoustic femme-rock ballad by Nina Gordon. Unmissable.

UPDATES: While we're talking covers, and while I'm ripping content from Copy Cats, who's heard Sean Connery doing a cover of The Beatles' "In My Life"? Hilarious! Very much in the style of the musical outings of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, but Scottish.

Also, Greg Laswell does "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" as a depressing Eternal Nightcap-esque suicide ballad.

6 comments:

Morgan said...

If you enjoy that sort of thing, look up Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine. A band that performs lounge and jazz versions of popular songs and themes - ranging from Rape Me by Nirvana to Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg to the Scooby Doo theme.

Also, Band from TV (featuring Hugh Laurie and Heroes' Greg Grunberg) do a great cover of Minnie the Moocher.

Greg Tannahill said...

I'm way ahead of you on Richard Cheese. A friend set me onto it a coupla years back and now my computer is full of it. My personal favourite is his cover of Come Out And Play but there's a whole mess of gems.

I'll check out this "Band from TV" of which you speak.

Unknown said...

I have the Album that the Beatles song came from... It's called George Martin: In my life. And was a tribute CD done for the Beatles Producer a couple years back.

...I'll being it to canberra in june. - You are still on for the night in with Playstation? 4th June?

Greg Tannahill said...

I should be; that's the weekend before the Greg's Birthday Long Weekend.

Unknown said...

umm...
It's the Thursday night before the Greg's Birthday long weekend...

Greg Tannahill said...

Oh, do I get my long weekend early instead of late this year? Awesome.

Still fine, I have no plans to be out of town or otherwise doing anything but having fun. You will enjoy.