Sunday, July 23, 2006

5 Most Unsatisfying Game Endings of All Time

[Now Experiencing] [Computer Gaming]

The five most unsatisfying computer game endings of all time. And by "five most unsatisfying", I mean the five that popped into my head as I wrote this post. And by "of all time", I mean as far as I'm concerned, right now, without having to think too hard.

5) Final Fantasy VIII
4) Zone of the Enders (although the sequel to some extent made up for it)
3) Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
2) Halo 2

And coming in at number 1... Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. Just finished it for the second time right now, and it's just as horrible a thing to do to the player as it was back when it first came out (which is when I first finished it). A puzzle as frustrating and poorly designed as the final one of that game deserves something better by way of reward. Aargh! It makes it all the worse by comparison to how nice the final puzzles and ending of Monkey Island 1 were.

I probably should do a serious post about game endings that were good, some day. There's so many - Vagrant Story, Under A Killing Moon, Toejam and Earl and Fallout all come instantly to mind.

2 comments:

Grant said...

Despite owning - ooh hundreds of them, I'm actually incredibly bad at playing computer games and therefore rarely see the end of them.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time had an amazingly good ending, though.

Greg Tannahill said...

Friend and reader AJ is a big Prince of Persia fan, and he tells me good things about the series. Some day I may get into them, if my longing for something new overcomes my inherent loathing of platformers.

I've never yet finished a Grand Theft Auto, and it's beginning to look like Liberty City Stories for the PSP is NOT going to be the exception.