Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Robots in Disguise, Friendly Neighbourhood Webslingers, and Killing Snoop Dogg

[News] [Film] [Computer Gaming]

Assorted news I haven't blogged about yet, and comments.

* Transformers: The Movie (Live Action): I just saw the teaser trailer for this, and it looks like a fantastically bad joke. As much as I love those big transforming robots, it's very hard to see the words "Transformers: A Michael Bay Film" appear on screen without laughing. This would be hard enough to do right with a competent director in charge, let alone Bay (Bad Boys, Armageddon, Pearl Harbour). He could surprise me, but my prediction is even the hardcore fans will have a tough time swallowing this.

* Spider-Man 3: Again, just saw the trailer. I'm cautiously optimistic. It looks like it captures the same magic as the first two installments. Raimi's still at the head, Maguire and Dunst are still on board, and if the trailer's any indication it looks like they might actually be delivering a decent story based around Spidey's parastic ex-costume, Venom. Plus Sandman looks great (the Marvel thug version, of course, not either of the DC ones) and I hear we'll be seeing Hobgoblin, although I couldn't spot him in the trailer.
UPDATE: Upon rewatching the trailer, no, there's plenty of Hobgoblin there, both in and out of costume - it's just that it's pretty dark and you don't really get to see what he looks like.

* Def Jam 3: Somehow last year I missed the news that there'll be a third console installment of the Def Jam brawling series. The last outing, Fight for NY, was disarmingly good, pretty much against all expectations, and I know myself and my gaming crowd will be hanging out for another chance to lay the smack down on such hip-hop celebrities as Snoop Dogg and Ludacris. The biggest possibility for things to go wrong is if Electronic Arts directs the focus towards the music and the graphics and let the great gameplay side, but as we all know, EA are known for being cutting-edge artists who would never EVER emphasise style over substance, so naturally we don't need to worry. Right?

Alright, that's got me posting again, let's see if I can get back into the swing of things.

3 comments:

Grant said...

I think they should do a retro-themed Def Jam game, featuring all of the artists they had back then whose music was actually good.

Phrancq said...

As a hardcore Transformers fan, I don't think that even I can close my eyes and pretend it will be good.

Greg Tannahill said...

No, no, but if you respected the artists, it wouldn't be as much fun to beat them bloody with a lead pipe. Or throw them under a train. Or whatever.