Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Japan, Baby, Yeah!

[News] [Personal] [Events] [Computer Gaming]

Well, I've got accomodation booked now, so I'd damn well better be going to Japan to use it.

I'm planning to stay in a couple of hotels in the vicinity of Mihama-ku, in Chiba City (about an hour and a half south-east of Tokyo by bullet train) for the nights of 20 through to 24 September, during which I will be attending the Tokyo Game Show 2006.

The Friday day is for industry people only. Seeing as I'm going all the way to Japan, it would be a shame to miss out on a day full of games, so I'm sure you all out there will agree that The Dust Forms Words constitutes a gaming industry-related business which unfortunately is not yet turning a profit.

It's particularly important that I'm there on the Friday, because at 10 am on that morning Ken Kutaragi will be delivering the Sony keynote speech on "the next generation as created by the PS3", during which I will have the opportunity to hear first-hand (in Japanese?) about the magical mushroom dreams that Sony have for selling consoles made of solid gold to the gaming elite, who will be able to bask in the rich buttery light reflected from their PS3 hardware and enter a personal Nirvana uninterrupted by vibrating controllers or worthwhile launch day game releases.

The full list of exhibitors so far is here. As best I can make out, Nintendo has not as yet thrown their hat in, although Sony and Microsoft have predictably staked their turf. Nintendo does have a history of not participating in TGS, but on the other hand they broke that tradition last year, and this year they still have to announce the Wii release date, price point, and launch lineup before the holiday season. I can always hope for a last minute announcement of their participation (and the corresponding news that there'll be playable Wiis on the show floor).

Anyhow, between playable PS3s, and the respective offerings of Capcom, Koei, Square-Enix, Konami, and Namco, I should be a happy traveller.

Following the close of TGS I will be spending three nights in Tokyo itself (not as yet booked) two nights in Tokyo before catching an overnight flight arriving in Perth on 28 September in time for Fandomedia. I will back in Canberra on 3 October.

This is my first overseas trip, and I really have no idea what to expect from Japan. I'm still sorting out the intricacies of currency exchanges and making my mobile work overseas, so if anyone has suggestions of things I should think of before travelling or so forth they'd be well appreciated. I'm already doing this through a mish-mash of three different travel agents, and I have the unshakeable feeling something will go wrong and I'll end up sleeping on some raccoon-lined street in Kisarazu when I should be living the high life of consumer electronics and beautiful samurai ninja cat-girls.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Power converters... you can never have enough of them.
At some point it is inevitable that you will have to plug in your laptop, camera and mobile phone all at the same time.

Greg Tannahill said...

Oh yeah, I'd thought of that before and then forgotten again. What sort does Japan take?

Jey said...

yay! for you
bring us back all things crazy and Japanese

are you still studying?

Phrancq said...

Pleas tell me you are bringing a camera.

KISARAZU! Meow!

If you can find the series or any merchandise, I will compensate.

Greg Tannahill said...

Jess - if you mean Japanese, then yes. Kind of. Got to pick up the pace.

Matt - I'll be sauntering forth to town to acquire a digital camera either today or tomorrow. Such photos I will take. I'm not sure exactly when I'll take in Kisarazu (it depends on how far it is from Chiba City) but I am definitely intending to get out there at some point.

Anonymous said...

Have fun in Japan Greg. When you come back we expect plenty of crazy Japanese hijinx type of stories.

Jey said...

"if you mean Japanese, then yes. Kind of. Got to pick up the pace."

I was actually referring to your law degree.

But on the note of Japanese, are you just trying to self-teach that for travel purposes?