Thursday, April 27, 2006

Gentlemen - To Evil!

[Game Design]

Screeching howler monkeys have brought to my attention that there's been something of an unofficial Round Table going on with regard to the subject of evil in computer games. I'll refer you to the following ramblings on the subject by other bloggers:

* Introduction to Villainy at Project Perko starts off the subject with some interesting blatherings on how portrayals of evil in video games are generally as well-developed and convincing as a photo of the Loch Ness Monster.

* The Inadequacy of Evil at Man Bytes Blog replies with some scribblings about walking the dark path and believable motivation.

* Super Columbine Massacre RPG! at King Lud IC intelligently rambles that of course your depictions of evil will be shallow if you're too gutless to tackle the hard stuff.

* Evil Deeds and Ookie Thoughts at Unfettered Blather pleads for a wider variety of ways to be truly evil.

* Video Villain at Project Perko hypothesises that maybe the origins of a bad villain are a mere lack of screen time.

I intend to post something on this topic later today; stay tuned for eyeball-traumatising ranting!

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Hmmm, I hadn't considered it, but whats interesting about SCMRPG from that perspective is that YOU are the villain, and the topic of villany is explored to be almost justified. What I'm into doing with Pack Appeal is, in some threads, bringing the player to find themselves equated with the monster they initially tried to hunt.

Greg Tannahill said...

Apologies for my attempt to maniputlate your point so as to conform to my post topic; but if you can't use the internet to put words in someone else's mouth, then what can you use it for? 8-)

I look forward to taking Pack Appeal for a spin whenever it eventuates (I think you said 06/07). I remember reading someone's blog recently, though, where they were saying they couldn't finish Shadow of the Colossus because they just couldn't justify killing that last behemoth (was it yours?). I think as we enter the realm of moral games, we might start running into the "cringe factor" where the situation the player is placed into is just so identity-attacking that they choose to opt out rather than continue play. (This is main reason I haven't given Facade more than a token run through.)